Postcard From Vienna
Travel is such a key component of my craft. I always return filled with inspiration from all that I’ve seen and experienced. A recent trip to Vienna did not disappoint. It is a sensory overload of culture and colour and history and I could walk around for a month and never cease to be amazed and charmed by this treasure of a city. Amazing at dusk and at night lit up for the holidays and winter time, the architecture, charm, food and people are utterly breathtaking! Here are a few of my favourite things (and yes there may or may not have been crisp apple strudel) should you find yourself in town.
- St. Stephen’s Cathedral – get a bag of roasted chestnuts while you walk around the square.
- Spanish Riding School – catch the special show in the morning – classical dressage on its highest level. The horses have the most incredible discipline. The performance is in the spectacular riding performance arena in the Hofburg.
- Imperial Palace/Hofburg – see the Sisi exhibit
- State Opera House (we were lucky to see Die Fledermaus)
- Café Sacher after the Opera for world famous and decadent Sacher torte and champagne.
- Belvedere Palace Museum
- Walk through the Vienna Naschmarkt in December.
- Buy treats at the Manner Shop.
- Zum Figlmuller (the oldest, best restaurant in Vienna).
- Plachutta (for the famous boiled beef served in a copper saucepan).
- Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer – (The White Chimneysweep) stunning white Austrian decor.
- Sole (incredible authentic Italian).