Anne Hepfer Designs
All That Glitters
Whether resolutions are your thing or not, I always feel, after the whirl of the holidays, that the new year is a good time to simply stop, sit in a favorite space and think about the things that you love, that make you tick, that make you and your family who you are. Often this means defining what needs a shake up or a dispatch. How do you want to feel? Our personal spaces should reflect our new or renewed resolves and be a place for reflection; a sanctuary. I like to think about what I need and what I can get rid of. Taking stock, cleaning house and purifying my surroundings to start fresh is a great way to carve into a new year. A clean slate.
While out with the old and in with the new does have an important role in this exercise, I feel there are several design elements that are timeless. On the flip side, there are always twists on the standards that I am loving right now. Like Peter Allen said, “Everything old is new again” (and all that jazz!).
Hot Right Now
– Glass lamps lend transparency and translucency to any space.
– A mirrored piece of furniture adds sparkle to any room.
– I love Lucite and acrylic – a cool and glamourous way to blend old with new.
Back in Style
– Everyone loves metallics. We’re using shiny in leather and fabrics in fun and unexpected colors.
– Brass will never go “out” entirely, but gold is glam hot right now.